One trend that I didn't get into the post was around the Par 3 contest that takes place the Wednesday before the tournament opens. This year it seems, interest in the Par 3 contest skyrocketed as more golf fans wanted to know more about it. Perhaps it has something to do with ESPN broadcasting the event? Was that a first? Take a look at the HUGE surge this year (all the way at the right of the chart below). Something drove people to find out more this year than in years past, right?
Getting these OGB posts done are just one piece of the strategy around sports and I've been thinking more and more that these are really just "flags" that I've staked in the ground around these events and next year we'll be able to point people to them ahead of events. Next up? Most likely the French Open in May.
Here are the live links to all eight of my posts on the Official Google Blog:
- At the Republican National Convention: Politics in the Cloud and on the Ground (9/9/08)
- Searching for the Next Olympic Host City (10/1/09)
- Searching for the 2010 Stanley Cup (6/2/10)
- Celebrating 10 Years in Chicago (12/16/10)
- Auto Industry off to a Fast Start in Motown (1/14/11)
- It's Googler v. Googler this weekend as the Packer and Steelers face off (2/3/11)
- Searching for a Cinderella Story (3/31/11)
- If the Green Jacket Fits (4/7/11)