This year, I picked two early Perennials for the planter box on our front porch. The two varieties are a Pincushion Flower Scabiosa and an Erysimum Apricot Twist.
I put them in the planter box that we converted from an old "beverage" case that we picked up at the Kane County Flea Market. Nat has a particular taste in flowers, but as you can tell by the orange choice, she didn't have much to say in this decision. Fortunately, she's ok with them because (I think) they're kind of on the wild sign.
I am documenting them here because I did the same thing last year - planting two varieties of perennials in the same box, but when late summer arrived and the flowers drooped, Nat yanked them out of the box and stuck them in the ground on the south side of our front porch and we mostly forgot about them. Fast forward to this spring and one variety (the yellow one) has gone and gotten HUGE. As a side note, you can *barely* see our Anemone plant just to the right of the bottom yellow plant. That was given to us by Nat's mom because she was attempting to recreate Nat's wedding bouquet and the florist didn't have any of them on hand. So, off she went to the nursery to pick up a few. We got one, she got one. They both came back this year.
I keep pretty decent records of the trees/bushes/yard upkeep via a Google Doc (I have similar docs for our cars and Maisy), but for some reason, these plants from last year's planter box are absent from the doc. Thanks to Blogger - and the Google Doc - if this year's plants start to take over next spring, we'll at least know what they are and where they came from. Once we put this years purple and orange plants in over here, by next spring we'll have a bunch of color popping on this side of our house.
For those of you keeping track of these things at home, today is Friday, May 13th. I actually turned these over to May yesterday, so let's call it the 12th of May. On the left is Monsters, Inc. On the right is Illini Hall. Which....is a total mystery to me. Having spent four years there (including the summers), I'm not sure I ever stepped foot into this place. Looking it up on the UIUC map , it shows Illini Hall right on Wright Street, just south of Green. Kinda across Wright from Altgeld. The "Department of Statistics" is in there. That *might* explain why I didn't go there... The full archives of the enthralling wall calendar tracking project (you just can't get enough, can you?!?!?) can be found here . May took 12 days in 2016. Last year it was the 7th. That's a +5 day jump. January took 8 days to put up the calendar . I don't think I was tracking January last year. So let's call it a wash. (+0 Days) February took 16 day
Earlier this winter, I wrote about the old Lou Malnati's menu and mentioned that as I was waiting around for my pie to finish up, I spied an old Chicago Tribune article posted on the wall that included the original Lou Malnati's Italian Salad Dressing Recipe. The Tribune reporter called it "prized". We were set to host a little pizza party over the weekend, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's the article as seen through my mobile phone's camera. I'm not a wine drinker, so the fact that the recipe called for Burgundy wine didn't strike me as odd. I went shopping at Angelo Caputos in Addison - a really incredible shopping experience - and when I got to the wine section I found Burgundy wine was carried ONLY in those HUGE jugs. And they were dirt cheap. The only issue is that needed just 4 ounces. We ended up with a whole-lotta-wine that Nat won't drink. I've taken the recipe and modified it a bit by eliminating the percentage
For the first time , our blowmold 1 Santa Claus - sitting in his sleigh - has his three blowmold reindeer up and flying up, up and away. He's in our front yard and all lit up with a brand new set of reins that are made of 30' of rope light from Menards. I have been trying to think about how to get the reindeer to 'fly' for a number of years. We didn't even put this set out last Christmas because I was caught in 'planning mode' too long and never got around to getting them to fly. My initial design called for them to be 'wired up' between the ground and the large Maple tree in our front yard. I went so far as to install two large metal eyelets directly in the trunk of the tree about 12 feet up in the air. I was contemplating running some wire (kind of like the wire I used on the espalier system in the back ) from the eyelets down to some sort of grounding mechanism. My initial thought was to buy one of those spiral metal things that