In late January, I tried a succulent propagation experiment with one variable: cutting vs callus'd-over pieces of Burro's Tail. I used rooting compound and went about planting two small containers of little pieces of succulent. In the green, plastic container, I planted segments that I sliced in-to and then applied the rooting compound. In the clay pot, I left the segments with their calluses and just rubbed rooting compound on the surface. The little white post-it note says: "Uncut = Clay". (I keep an offline garden diary of sorts, too...) Four-or-so-weeks later, here's what those two containers look like: What has happened? The cuttings on the left - the ones that I sliced into with a knife BEFORE applying the rooting compound have just melted away. On the right - the ones that I left intact? Many of them are still there and doing just fine. Lesson learned: when propagating succulents, make sure they have completely callused over before attempting
Showing posts with the label succulent cuttings
On my Winter Gardening to-do list are a few propagation-related items: Being more deliberate with propagating some of the Burro's Tail buds that seem to fall off of the main vines everyday and starting to propagate our Christmas Cactus . To do both of those, I'm going to give this Rooting Powder from Bonide a shot. For Burro's Tail, I've had luck WITHOUT this rooting hormone , but that all was when I was in a downtown high-rise window. I'll post some photo updates when I get around to planting these small cuttings in their own containers and will experiment with how this rooting powder helps/doesn't help with getting them going.
Like a lot of you guys, the year of working-from-home caused me to have a little work plant casualty. On the ledge at the Aon Center, I was keeping a couple of pots/containers of a Burro's Tail succulents that when we SUDDENLY decided to just stop going into the office were mostly abandoned. The last time that I posted about them was at the end of October 2018 here on the blog . Well, thanks to our office services team, one of those containers somehow survived the Spring and Summer, so when I ventured into the office in Fall of 2020, I was able to bring one of them home and nurse it along this Winter. I mostly neglected it the past four months, giving it occasional water. And, here's what it looks like now: The container that I have on hand is the very one that I started with cuttings from the parent succulent that I was given by a co-worker who was leaving . If you look at the bottom of the green bin that this container is sitting in, you can see a bunch of lobes of th
It was just a little bit over a year ago that I last posted a photo of my office succulent - a Burro's tail - that I keep on the ledge by my window in the Aon Center. That photo is here . And here's the post from August of 2016 - just over two years ago - that shows it in its youth . Tracking the changes over the years shows the growth of not just the main plant, but you'll also notice in this year's version, a series of other growths. As for the primary pot, you can compare last year to this year and see that it is still going strong with a few long shoots and a full pot. But, you'll also note two other experiments. The first is the container on the far left that shows a bunch of new cuttings that I took from the main plant and put in a smaller pot. They have taken off and begun to make their own 'tails' as it were. Also, in the center of the photo, you'll see a clear plastic cup that I've tossed some succulent bits in that broke off th