Earlier this month, I was able to (finally and properly) identify that I have a creeping bentgrass problem in my backyard that includes a spreading (and concerning) amount of Nimblewill . I decided to apply Tenacity as a post-emergent in an attempt to begin to control the grassy weed ahead of overseeding this Fall. I mixed up a couple of gallons and applied it with a pump sprayer. What does it look like after a week? I'm seeing what I hoped to see: some white emerging from the bentgrass. See below for some photos showing the white tips. Turns out, I have A TON Of creeping bentgrass back there that needs to go. Look at all this white showing up: Everything I've read tells me that Nimblewill control isn't a one-shot deal. It will take a few applications the first season and a multi-year treatment plan with herbicide control (Tenacity as a selective post-emergent). But, so far...I'm happy. And seeing signs of progress here. My plan is to lower the deck on m
Showing posts with the label herbicides
Last week, I shared here on my lawn diary a little breakthrough. For the past 18-or-so months, I've been watching a grassy weed creep along and begin to migrate from my far backyard to closer to our patio. And, after reading about various grassy weeds, I came to the (initial) conclusion that I was dealing with Poa Annua - or an annual Bluegrass. It was showing some of the signs like being lime green. But, after observing the lawn this Spring, I noticed that the parts affected green'd up later and seemed to handle the Summer better than the balance of my Bluegrass. I was planning on doing a complete renovation in the back by killing EVERYTHING off and starting from scratch with a new layer of seed this Fall. As I prepared for that, I went in to see if I could learn more about what was back there and how much I *really* needed to kill off vs. just overseed. When I went in and pulled a mature stalk of grass, I discovered it had this sort of horizontal branching structure.
I've grown my lawn care practice in various ways over the years based on things I've learned from the Web (mostly YouTubers) including how I (now) cut my lawn pretty high (5 on the mower), have added Tall Fescue to our KBG lawn to try to provide it more heat resistance and even using a blue pattern spray in my herbicide treatments to 'see' where I've sprayed . My most recent project is focused on controlling a new (to me) warm season weed grass called Nimblewill. In order to do that, I'm going to use a selective herbicide named Tenacity. Tenacity seems like pretty great stuff and can be applied as either a pre-emergent or a post-emergent. The difference is that you have to also use a surfactant if you're going the post-emergent route. For this Nimblewill control project, we're talking post-emergent and actively growing grass. That meant that I had to go find a surfactant. The most readily available one was this Liquid Harvest version available on Am
For the past few years, I've put nothing but organic/natural products down on the yard to control weeds, feed the turf and improve the soil. But, this year, I skipped the application of a pre-emergent and I'm dealing with A LOT more weeds in the backyard than I normally have at this time of year. I don't know if skipping the pre-emergent has to do with the weeds or if it is just a coincidence. But, I needed to take some action. I bought a concentrate to spray the weeds and applied that a couple of weeks ago. It worked - in spots - but wasn't enough. So, I went with what I consider a drastic measure: I bought a bag of Weed and Feed from Menards and threw it down in the backyard . I looked around for a weed control ONLY granular product, but didn't see something that would work, so I decided to use this combination product. Here's a look at the bag: Here's a closer look (below) at the makeup of the herbicide product including Dimethylamine Salt, Propi
This is the first season that I've really paid a lot of attention to the lawn in any sort of meaningful way. I've posted about it all year, but normally, I just dealt with the length of the grass and that's about it. Weeds? Sure. Fertilizer? If I remembered. But, this year, I've upped my cutting and feeding game. And also, for the first time used some herbicides to tackle the weeds. In the far back of the yards, I had a pretty serious Creeping Charlie issue that is a result of the lawn being untouched since before we moved in our house. I posted in late May about how I started to use a Blue Spray Pattern Indicator in the sprayer to know where I was putting down the treatment . I had both Wild Violet and Creeping Charlie running through the yard and the herbicide worked well. In my mind, the blue pattern indicator additive was part of the reason for the efficacy because I was able to tell both how much and where I was putting it down. This Fall (the past
Out in the backyard, we have what I'd call a real work-in-progress when it comes to the lawn. Well...a work-in-progress when it comes to everything back there including the landscaping and trees and mulch and what-have-you. But this post is about the lawn in particular. The past two seasons, I've done what I'd call the minimum in terms of working the lawn. I put down a synthetic crabgrass preventer with early feed, a weed and feed and a Summer feed. I also put down a synthetic grub treatment and last season put down an organic insect killer that was supposed to treat for ticks and ants and other things. But, I mostly left the weeding to chance. When we moved in, we sodded about the first 100' of grass, then seeded the next 50 or so feet and left the balance to just be how it was. There were plenty of weeds, crabgrass and clover back there. The problem with weeds in the lawn is that they don't just stay in place. They colonize! They grow. They move a