August Wall Calendars - Turned Over 2016
This month's wall calendar update comes on the 2nd of the month, which is a very fast turn around time if history serves as any indication. On the left in the Pixar calendar, we have Toy Story 2 - yep! - #2. And on the right is the University of Illinois Hallene Gateway. This thing was put up in 1998 during my time on campus and has a nice little archive page that the University has put up here. Someone, had the foresight to preserve this when they were taking down one of the original buildings and after sixty years, someone 'discovered' it and brought it back to life as a bit of a gateway to the campus on the Urbana side. From the UIUC archive page:
Dedicated October 8, 1998, on the 63rd annual meeting of University of Illinois Foundation, the Hallene Gateway Plaza was funded through the generosity of Alan M. and Phyllis Welsh Hallene, graduates of the class of 1951. As its centerpiece, the Plaza features the original sandstone portal of the New Main University Hall (the 4th building built on the UIUC campus, in 1871, where the Union presently stands). When New Main was razed in 1938, its portal was saved and placed behind the Architecture building. Though the years the portal was slowly forgotten and eventually was moved out to Allerton Park for storage. In 1994 it was rediscovered near maintenance sheds among "brush, raspberry brushes and small trees" and a backhoe had to be called in to help unearth it.Back to the calendar stuff. Last year in 2015, I turned them on the 10th of August. That's a net of -8 days. Another big month that pads the lead that - at this point - might be un-overcomable? Started August with a new -7 day net and now with this new -8 days, we're standing at -15 days. A half month! With just four months to go.
For the year:
- January took 8 days to put up the calendar. I don't think I was tracking January last year. So let's call it a wash. (+0 Days)
- February took 16 days to put up the calendar. In 2015, I turned it over on the 17th. (-1 Days better)
- March took 8 days this year. In 2015, I turned them on the 10th. Posted on the 11th. So...that makes it -2 days better.
- April took just 7 days. I didn't post last April. So..no new net days.
- May took 12 days. Net + 5 days over last year. Wowsa.
- June took 6 days. Net +5 days over last year. Another Wowsa.
- July took 8 days. Net -14 days over last year. Huge swing. Leaving -7 advantage.
We're now at -15 days. And looking ahead to the next few months, that 15 day span seems impossible to lose. The only wild card is December. I don't seem to have tracked December of 2015, so we'll have to decide what *exactly* to do if things are neck-and-neck when December comes to be flipped.