Solving our Basement Water Problem by Burying our Downspouts

Say hello to my Saturday.
Seriously.  This was (for me, at least) a pretty serious DIY project.

Since we've moved in, one of my "to do's" has been to work on "sinking" a drainage system that diverts the water from our gutters away from our house and to a low spot in our yard.  When it rains hard, we get a little bit of seepage into our basement.  Not a lot of water, just some dampness.  I am hypothesizing that it was because the water would run from our downspouts and into the ground next to the house.  because of grading, the land contoured back towards our foundation.

I went to Menard's early this morning and bought 10 10-foot lengths of sewer pipe and a whole series of joints and connectors.  I have put in a "T" in the middle as I'm planning on putting in a surface curtain drain - right in the middle of our new vegetable/victory garden.  The trench still needs to get filled in, but I'll get to that after I ensure the system 'works' - after a big rain.

I tried those flexible downspout extensions, but they didn't work.  This is a much more "serious" solution and should be a significant upgrade for our house.

I need this to "work" - and keep the basement dry.  Because...finishing the basement is on that same "to do" list.


Popular posts from this blog

Wall Calendars Turned To May 2016

Lou Malnati's Salad Dressing Recipe as Published in the 60's

Our Blowmold Santa And His Sleigh and Reindeer - Flying for 2019