Espaliered Linden Trees - Update

Just a few days ago, I posted some of the steps on the espalier system that I put in our #newoldbackyard arboretum for a pair of Linden trees.  A slight update here.  I made more progress on both espalier systems.  ( you say 'pleached'??)  Here's a look at the Linden on the left in the two photos below.  You'll see that I now have three courses of wire up and you can really get a sense for how much longer the lowest branches/limbs are than the ones that are higher up on the trunk.

An overview of the way I'm thinking about this espalier project can be found here on the blog.

And a look at how I rigged up my DIY espalier system can be found here.

I am planning on one more run of wire across the top and will have a four-level espalier.  You can also get a better look at the turnbuckles that I'm using.  Also, on the right, you can see that I have the first course/level/wire up on the Linden on the right.  These will end up matching.  But won't be perfect because, as you can see I have attached the eyebolts at slightly different heights.  That's due to the holes in the posts.

And here's a look straight on.  The lowest limbs are the strongest/longest, but I'm hoping now that I've pruned away everything else, some of the energy of the tree can go into the remaining limbs and they'll grow quickly.

I'll post more photos when I get these things finished off.  Hopefully, that happens before we run out of summer days!


Popular posts from this blog

Lou Malnati's Salad Dressing Recipe as Published in the 60's

Building a Japanese Moon Gate - DIY Exploration

Walnut vs Tree of Heaven vs. Sumac Backyard Identification - June 2020