Peachberry Ice Heucheras Planted By Firepit - May 2023
Some of the plants that we brought home from the Morton Arboretum annual plant sale were things that *had* to go in a specific spot. I KNEW IMMEDIATELY where the Spine Tingler Epimedium was going to go. Same with the Merlin Hellebores. But, there were other plants that we bought that I KNEW I wanted to go in our garden, but also knew that there were a handful of spots that were viable options for their location. The Dark Side of the Moon Astilbes are an example. I put them on the southside, but I could have put them in a like 5 different spots.
Another one that is similar are three Peachberry Ice Coral Bells - or Heuchera Primo Peachberry Ice. The sign from the sale is at the top of this post that details these beauties. But...that last line is the one that is most compelling: Tolerates Black Walnut. Isn't that interesting? We have a bunch of Black Walnut trees. We've lost some Heucheras over the years - like these Dolche Apple Twist varieties - that I didn't connect to the Walnut trees. But...perhaps that's what got them?
As I wandered around the big barn at the plant sale, the foliage of these Peachberry Ice Heucheras called out:
I opted to plant these back by the firepit. #15 on my 2023 to-do list was to continue to 'upgrade' the area with plantings and structure. These pop of color in a deeply shaded spot will (hopefully) brighten up the border between the gravel and the fence. I planted them (see below) in an array along the border, right in front of a pair of Hicks upright Yews.
Below are the plant tags from Proven Winners for these Primo Peachberry Ice Coral Bells.
Here's my 2023 Morton Arboretum Plant Sale Posts:
- A single Orange Queen Epimedium for the understory garden in back.
- A single Island Breeze Hosta with red legs and bright yellow foliage planted in the understory garden in back.
- A pair of HGC Merlin Hellebores planted amongst the existing Lenten Roses.
- Three Spine Tingler Epimedium (Barrenwort) planted by Amber Queens.
- Three Dark Side of the Moon Astilbes in the southside bed. Dark foliage FTW.
- A pair of Brookside Geraniums with blue flower blooms.
- Three Primo Peachberry Ice Heucheras on the border by the firepit.
Post a Comment
Be nice to each other here.