Vintage Schlitz Mug - Antique Mall Find
Last week, I posted about our trip to the MAGA Antique Mall up in Lake Geneva and how we came across those vintage "Made in Japan" Poinsettia candle holders that we passed on. Before we were asked to leave by the MAGA guy who runs the place (because...gasp! the boy was playing with some vintage toys!), I spotted this Schlitz glass mug. They were asking $6 and this thing was H - E - A - V - Y!
I've posted a lot over the years about vintage Schlitz stuff, but this mug is a dead ringer for the big Schlitz pitcher that we bought at a flea market last summer. Seriously...click here for just a second. And look at the bottom of that pitcher and the bottom of this glass. Then look at the logo with the thin maroon line around the box. And the white "The Beer that made Milwaukee Famous" font/mark. This was totally released at the same time as that pitcher, right? Had to be part of a set? Like a tavern would place that pitcher on your table and four of these glasses on a tray right next to it?
Alas, I had to remind myself of my collecting mantra. This one did not come home with us, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it and be happy that it exists.
As for Schlitz stuff, in addition to the glass pitcher and this mug, I've also posted about:
- Most recently, I bought this cute Schlitz Lionel O Gauge billboard at the Christmas Train show.
- Came across this white beer hall-ish mug at an antique mall with the 'World's finest draught' mark
- When we bought that pitcher referenced above last summer, it wasn't the first time that I spotted it. Back a few summers, there was one at the Coloma Antique Mall.
- First and only time I've ever come across a mint set of six vintage foam beer koozies from Schlitz.
- The second time Schlitz appeared on the blog was back in 2010 when we were sitting at a table down at Wash U at Chuck Berry's place that had a table-side Schlitz lamp.
- The very first mention of Schlitz was posted back in 2010 when I referenced this cute Schlitz advertisement that reads: "Don't worry darling, you didn't burn the beer!"
And while I'm making lists of archival blog posts, this post also gets categorized in the [vintage glasses] category/tag. And there are a bunch of those posts:
- Election season-related "Back the beagle" Snoopy glass from the 1980's.
- Another election season-related glass, but featuring Winnie the Pooh from Sears. One of the best we've bought.
- I picked up an Uncle Mistletoe vintage glass from Marshall Field's from the thrift store. And I've posted photos of other Walnut Room mugs over the years.
- One of my strongest childhood memories around glassware is from this Miss Piggy McDonald's glass. Once I saw one at a garage sale, I had to have it.
- A 'winning ugly' White Sox small glass - for booze drinking.
- Love these 7-Up "uncola" upside down glasses that are from the Bluff in St. Joe's.
- Here's a glass that I bought for Nat at a garage sale: The Chipette's from Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- And of course, the Schlitz mug that I referenced above.