2022 Yard and Garden To-Do List Check-in - September 2022
The mornings are already cooler and smell different. The days are getting shorter. The Kentucky Bluegrass in our lawn is starting to bounce back and emerge from dormancy. The kids are back in school. That means that the growing season is entering the final stretch - Late Summer/Early Fall. And, with the calendar turning over to September, I thought I'd do a quick check-in on how I have been doing against my 2022 yard and garden priorities. We typically get our first frost sometime in mid-October, so that means we have six-or-so weeks left to get busy before putting the garden to bed.
Like I've done in the past, I started the year with a list of 25 items that I considered priorities. The list serves as a guide and a check on what is most important to get done each year. Let's see where we are as of September 1st, 2022. I've done this late-season check-in before (here's 2020's version) and I think this is a good way to shortlist what *can* be done and gives me some (needed) focus out there.
My 2022 to-do list (in brief) contained these 25 items below. Let's see how we've done (so far) via some color-coding. Green = complete. Orange = mixed/in-progress. Red = not started/no progress.And...to be fair, some of these things are *bigger* or more important or have a bigger impact than others, so they don't really have equal weights. I've done A LOT of things related to the list (just look at this 2022 to-do list tag), so there's certainly been activity. But, not all big-ticket items. Take, for instance...#1 (shrubs). I spent the lion's share of my planting budget and time in the Spring on this and believe that what I've put in will pay off in a significant way/show up big in the coming years. There are others that aren't done (retaining wall) that are big projects, too. Others are small-ball (like bird feeding). There are also (as always) projects that I take on/additions/plantings that are NOT on the list, but are big lifts or have big impacts, too.
4. Enhance the "in between two driveways" strip. Mixed. Need a few more.
10. Continue a few seasonal projects. Mixed, but close.
11. Lawn Schedule, Overseeding and Renovation. Not complete, but planned.
12. Add more 'free plants' through division. Not started, but planned.
13. Composting Improvements and Schedule. Nope. Missed. Need to correct.
15. Add a second backyard retractable water hydrant. Mixed. Have reel, just not mounted.
17. Get back in the Bird Feeding Groove. Nope, but not the season (yet).
18. Make a more permanent Fairy Garden setup. Not really, but did add to container.
19. Improve front porch bed mulch and soil conditions. Mixed. More to do.
20. Stain the patio container. Nope. Not done.
21. Enhance fire pit area. Mixed, but close.
24. Clean up the south side gate entrance area. Mixed. More to do.
25. Build a Versailles planter box. Nope.
11. Lawn Schedule, Overseeding and Renovation.
12. Add more 'free plants' through division.
15. Add a second backyard retractable water hydrant.
18. Make a more permanent Fairy Garden setup.
19. Improve front porch bed mulch and soil conditions.
21. Enhance fire pit area.
24. Clean up the south side gate entrance area.
22. Add a water feature.