Red Maple Sun Valley Tree - Planted Earth Day 2018
Just two days ago, I posted the first of what I'm calling "Earth Day 2018" trees that I planted with the kids in our #newoldbackyard. Today, the KoTBT is up with his hand-picked tree. This one, too, came from Home Depot out of their $15 deal for Earth Day. That's him up there, standing next to his very own tree that he helped plant.
We planted it pretty far back in the yard, pretty close to the rear fence in the area where we've been putting most of our yard waste (leaves, etc) to compost on their own. You can see the dirt that he's standing on is pretty good dirt, unlike the clay that was used to backfill in around our house and adjacent areas.
This tree is a Red Maple "Sun Valley" and requires "full sun", which it isn't going to get here. But, I'm thinking that might be fine. This one is planted about 50 feet or so away from the King Crimson Maple that I planted last summer and that one, too, is listed as "full sun". Despite that, it seems to be thriving and is ready to explode with new growth this Spring.
This is the eleventh tree we've planted to the yard - counting this one and the Flowering Pear from just two days ago.
1. Flowering Pear in backyard on north side.
2. Flowering Pear in front yard by garage.
3. Japanese flowering cherry
4 and 5: 2 Lindens that I espalier'd
6. A Dawn Redwood from Earth Day 2017
7. Nat's Saucer Magnolia in our front yard
8. A Corkscrew Willow all the way in the back
9. A Crimson King Norway Maple near the trampoline
10. Another flowering pear from Earth Day 2018