Bird's Nest Spruce Planted - IB2DWs - October 2023
What does my IB2DWs bed lack? Well...to be fair, it lacks a lot. But what I'm (mostly) talking about are conifers. Evergreens. Remember...Conifers Should Come First. I've failed at that. But, I can make up for it, I hope. My #2 priority was to plant evergreens IB2DWS. And my #1 was to add more evergreens. I've started by posting about one of two Baby Blue Spruce trees that I planted in the extended IB2DWs bed. Today, I'm sharing that I planted a Bird's Nest Spruce in the currently planted IB2DWs bed. You can see it above - it is to the west of the Cat's Pajamas Nepeta and a few feet set back from the driveway.
It was five bucks. What's not to like about that? I have a Bird's Nest Spruce in the back that was devoured by rabbits. I've moved it once and need to move it again.
Here's the container - Bird's Nest Spruce - Picea abies 'Nidiformis' - which NC State calls a 'dwarf needled evergreen shrub'.
My 2023 Fall Planting List - so far - includes a number of new and divided plants. One tree. Two shrubs.
Now up to 34 new plants. 3 new via division. 1 Tree. 38 total for 2023 #FallPlanting. 21 of them are groundcover plants. Five sedums.
- Five divided Everillo Sedges - Carex Everillo - from one sedge with Center rot in the backyard.
- A Sempervivum ‘Hopewell’ - a succulent-looking Chicks and Hens planted down by the sidewalk - IB2DWs.
- Two Sedum spurium 'Voodoo' - IB2DWs - to attempt to outcompete the Creeping Jenny.
- Split three Elijah Blue Fescue clumps into six - IB2DWs along the driveway.
- A single Burgundy Glow Ajuga along the driveway IB2DWs. Lots of groundcover IB2DWs, this Fall.
- Eight Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' planted - five in the island bed. Three along south front porch bed border.
- A Cardoon - IB2DWs - that I'm not sure is going to make it. I'm going to mulch it in VERY heavily this Winter.
- Two Silver Mound Artemisias planted IB2DWs - close to the current planted bed.
- A dwarf, fern-like shrub: Matcha Ball Ash Leaf Spirea planted in the front porch bed.
- Three Pentsemon 'Midnight Masquerade' dark foliage perennials planted in the new/extended IB2DWs bed.
- Two Stachys monieri 'Hummelo' plants, in the front yard by the Sweetspire.
- Three Greenlee Moor Grasses - Sesleria Greenlee Hybrid in front of the Sweetspire shrubs in front.
- A dwarf conifer: Baby Blue Spruce - planted IB2DWs extended down by the sidewalk.
- Two John Creech Sedums - planted by the Little Henry Sweetspires. Hoping to cover and outcompete the weeds that creep up in this border.
- Three Ruby Muhlygrasses - Planted at the end of the boardwalk in back.
- A #1 Bird's Nest Spruce planted IB2DWs by the Nepeta Cat's Pajamas, near the driveway.