Sesleria 'Greenlee' - 3 Greenlee Moor Grasses Planted in Front - October 2023
Fall Planting 2023 will go down as a big moment in our garden. That is...as long as everything that I'm putting in makes it through the Winter. I'm getting to this stuff pretty late in the growing season, so I a little bit of hesitancy in proclaiming that all of these will make it. Last year, with the huge mass of Autumn Ferns that I planted late and didn't come back have scarred me a bit.
That fear didn't stop me from adding three more new (to me) plants on the same trip to The Growing Place. I was wandering around the grass area and came across these small quart-sized grasses you see above. Short in nature. Nice seed heads. I pulled out the plant tag and see this below from Hocus Pocus Groundcovers: Sesleria 'Greenlee Hybrid' - Greenlee's Moor Grass.
This bed is just getting started and being full sun...opens up a whole world of possibilities for 2024 and beyond.
Now up to 28 new plants. 3 new via division. 31 total for 2023 #FallPlanting.
- Five divided Everillo Sedges - Carex Everillo - from one sedge with Center rot in the backyard.
- A Sempervivum ‘Hopewell’ - a succulent-looking Chicks and Hens planted down by the sidewalk - IB2DWs.
- Two Sedum spurium 'Voodoo' - IB2DWs - to attempt to outcompete the Creeping Jenny.
- Split three Elijah Blue Fescue clumps into six - IB2DWs along the driveway.
- A single Burgundy Glow Ajuga along the driveway IB2DWs. Lots of groundcover IB2DWs, this Fall.
- Eight Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' planted - five in the island bed. Three along south front porch bed border.
- A Cardoon - IB2DWs - that I'm not sure is going to make it. I'm going to mulch it in VERY heavily this Winter.
- Two Silver Mound Artemisias planted IB2DWs - close to the current planted bed.
- A dwarf, fern-like shrub: Matcha Ball Ash Leaf Spirea planted in the front porch bed.
- Three Pentsemon 'Midnight Masquerade' dark foliage perennials planted in the new/extended IB2DWs bed.
- Two Stachys monieri 'Hummelo' plants, in the front yard by the Sweetspire.
- Three Greenlee Moor Grasses - Sesleria Greenlee Hybrid in front of the Sweetspire shrubs in front.