Six Green Giant Thujas Planted - April 2022
The season has begun. With planting. And, we're off to a strong start with six new trees going in: Green Giant Thujas - Thuja standishii plicata. Are these really trees? According to the tag, they're categorized as trees, not shrubs (see the bottom photo for the tag), so I'm counting these as trees. I put in three on the northside, three on the southside - all in the back.
Here are the three on the southside:
Six growing seasons (this being REALLY early in the season):74 trees planted/6 growing seasons = 12.33 trees on average planted each season.
I wasn't planning on focusing (very much) on trees, so these might end up being all of the plantings for the year - which would put 2022 at the bottom of the season list.
1. Flowering Pear in backyard on north side.
3. Japanese flowering cherry
4 and 5: 2 Lindens that I espalier'd and placed by the south fence line near our kitchen windows.
7. Nat's Saucer Magnolia in our front yard
2018 (17 planted. 6 Dead):
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. These Frans Fontaine Hornbeams.
22. A replacement Chanticleer Pear tree (3" caliper) out front by our garage
25. Our replanted/replacement Dawn Redwood. Same spot as the first.
26. This teeny-tiny Bald Cypress that I planted in the front yard, in between our driveway and our neighbor to the north.
33. My new Weeping White Spruce that will only grow about 4' wide placed near the fence line alongside the espalier'd Lindens.
46. A small Northern Red Oak tree - our first Oak tree planted.
47. A 'decapitated' Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud that I planted on a whim.
49. A tall(ish) London Plane tree that suffered some transplant and frost shock, but seemed to recover.