Blue Star Juniper Planted - Back Stoop Bed - November 2023
My thought here is that by adding some blue - I'd get a nice view of the garden color trinity of green (ginkgo), blue (Blue Star Juniper) and chartreuse (Angelina Sedum) working together.
'Blue Star' Singleseed Juniper is a cultivar that is a dwarf conifer, an evergreen, and slow-growing shrub that may reach from 1 to 3 feet tall and 1 to 4 feet wide. The shrub forms a compact, dense mound. The leaves are blue-gray, awl-shaped needles with a white band that overlap and are densely arranged in whorls of three. The fruits are bluish-berry-like seed cones.
This cultivar was introduced in 1964 in the Netherlands. It originated as a "witch's broom" on another cultivar 'Meyeri' of the same species.
This is a Juniper that has been around A WHILE and I think has fallen out of favor. I'm putting this one in a bed that will force it to NOT spread too far/wide and I think will create some nice texture along with the Ginkgo right off our patio.
Here, below, is the container showing the $5 price (at 50% off). I planted this around mid-October, despite posting it in early November 2023.
My 2023 Fall Planting List - so far - includes a number of new and divided plants.
Now up to 42 new plants. 3 new via division. 7 Trees. 45 total for 2023 #FallPlanting. 21 of them are groundcover plants. Five sedums.
- Five divided Everillo Sedges - Carex Everillo - from one sedge with Center rot in the backyard.
- A Sempervivum ‘Hopewell’ - a succulent-looking Chicks and Hens planted down by the sidewalk - IB2DWs.
- Two Sedum spurium 'Voodoo' - IB2DWs - to attempt to outcompete the Creeping Jenny.
- Split three Elijah Blue Fescue clumps into six - IB2DWs along the driveway.
- A single Burgundy Glow Ajuga along the driveway IB2DWs. Lots of groundcover IB2DWs, this Fall.
- Eight Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' planted - five in the island bed. Three along south front porch bed border.
- A Cardoon - IB2DWs - that I'm not sure is going to make it. I'm going to mulch it in VERY heavily this Winter.
- Two Silver Mound Artemisias planted IB2DWs - close to the current planted bed.
- A dwarf, fern-like shrub: Matcha Ball Ash Leaf Spirea planted in the front porch bed.
- Three Pentsemon 'Midnight Masquerade' dark foliage perennials planted in the new/extended IB2DWs bed.
- Two Stachys monieri 'Hummelo' plants, in the front yard by the Sweetspire.
- Three Greenlee Moor Grasses - Sesleria Greenlee Hybrid in front of the Sweetspire shrubs in front.
- A dwarf conifer: Baby Blue Spruce - planted IB2DWs extended down by the sidewalk.
- Two John Creech Sedums - planted by the Little Henry Sweetspires. Hoping to cover and outcompete the weeds that creep up in this border.
- Three Ruby Muhlygrasses - Planted at the end of the boardwalk in back.
- A #1 Bird's Nest Spruce planted IB2DWs by the Nepeta Cat's Pajamas, near the driveway.
- A ball-and-burlap Weeping Norway Spruce in the middle of the established IB2DWs bed.
- A second Norway Weeping Spruce Tree - IB2DWs in the new 'Conifer Garden'.
- A narrow, upright conifer tree - Montrose Charm White Spruce in the 'Conifer Garden' IB2DWs.
- The 2nd Baby Blue Spruce tree planted IB2DWs in the new 'Conifer Garden' closer to the Bald Cypress.
- A 3rd Baby Blue Spruce tree planted in back by the Lindens - viewable from the Kitchen.
- I'm calling it a tree (not a shrub) - a Royal Purple Smoke Tree planted IB2Dws.
- A true dwarf - Golden Mop False Cypress - planted IB2DWs in the Conifer Garden.
- One of Two Blue Star Junipers - Planted in back stoop north bed with Spring Grove Ginkgo.