2nd Baby Blue Spruce Tree Planted - Conifer Garden - October 2023
A week back, I shared photos and details of the first of three Baby Blue Spruce trees that have gone in our yard as part of my Fall Planting Sprint. They were all 7# container-grown trees and are small to start - somewhere shy of 24" tall from tip to rootflare. I planted the first one in my new Conifer Garden - IB2DWs extended. And, I matched it with the second one on the other end of that spread. See below for a look at #2 Baby Blue. This is planted closer to the Bald Cypress. And...it is planted 'high' on purpose.
As for keeping score on a few fronts, let's first start with the Fall Planting Tally.
My 2023 Fall Planting List - so far - includes a number of new and divided plants.
Now up to 38 new plants. 3 new via division. 5 Trees. 41 total for 2023 #FallPlanting. 21 of them are groundcover plants. Five sedums.
- Five divided Everillo Sedges - Carex Everillo - from one sedge with Center rot in the backyard.
- A Sempervivum ‘Hopewell’ - a succulent-looking Chicks and Hens planted down by the sidewalk - IB2DWs.
- Two Sedum spurium 'Voodoo' - IB2DWs - to attempt to outcompete the Creeping Jenny.
- Split three Elijah Blue Fescue clumps into six - IB2DWs along the driveway.
- A single Burgundy Glow Ajuga along the driveway IB2DWs. Lots of groundcover IB2DWs, this Fall.
- Eight Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' planted - five in the island bed. Three along south front porch bed border.
- A Cardoon - IB2DWs - that I'm not sure is going to make it. I'm going to mulch it in VERY heavily this Winter.
- Two Silver Mound Artemisias planted IB2DWs - close to the current planted bed.
- A dwarf, fern-like shrub: Matcha Ball Ash Leaf Spirea planted in the front porch bed.
- Three Pentsemon 'Midnight Masquerade' dark foliage perennials planted in the new/extended IB2DWs bed.
- Two Stachys monieri 'Hummelo' plants, in the front yard by the Sweetspire.
- Three Greenlee Moor Grasses - Sesleria Greenlee Hybrid in front of the Sweetspire shrubs in front.
- A dwarf conifer: Baby Blue Spruce - planted IB2DWs extended down by the sidewalk.
- Two John Creech Sedums - planted by the Little Henry Sweetspires. Hoping to cover and outcompete the weeds that creep up in this border.
- Three Ruby Muhlygrasses - Planted at the end of the boardwalk in back.
- A #1 Bird's Nest Spruce planted IB2DWs by the Nepeta Cat's Pajamas, near the driveway.
- A ball-and-burlap Weeping Norway Spruce in the middle of the established IB2DWs bed.
- A second Norway Weeping Spruce Tree - IB2DWs in the new 'Conifer Garden'.
- A narrow, upright conifer tree - Montrose Charm White Spruce in the 'Conifer Garden' IB2DWs.
- The 2nd Baby Blue Spruce tree planted IB2DWs in the new 'Conifer Garden' closer to the Bald Cypress.
This is the 19th tree planted in 2023 - that's the most trees I've ever planted in a year. Wow.
We (now) have 69 of 96 trees that we've planted. 71.81% success rate over seven years.
96 trees planted/7 growing seasons = 13.72 trees on average planted each season
69 trees alive/7 growing seasons = 9.85 trees on average survive each season.
1. Flowering Pear in backyard on north side.
4 and 5: 2 Lindens that I espalier'd and placed by the south fence line near our kitchen windows.
6. A Dawn Redwood from Earth Day 2017
7. Nat's Saucer Magnolia in our front yard
2018 (17 planted. 6 Dead):
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. These Frans Fontaine Hornbeams.
22. A replacement Chanticleer Pear tree (3" caliper) out front by our garage
25. Our replanted/replacement Dawn Redwood. Same spot as the first.
26. This teeny-tiny Bald Cypress that I planted in the front yard, in between our driveway and our neighbor to the north.
33. My new Weeping White Spruce that will only grow about 4' wide placed near the fence line alongside the espalier'd Lindens.
46. A small Northern Red Oak tree - our first Oak tree planted.
47. A 'decapitated' Lavender Twist Weeping Redbud that I planted on a whim.
49. A tall(ish) London Plane tree that suffered some transplant and frost shock, but seemed to recover.