Five More Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' Tri-Color Groundcover Plants - November 2023
Ajugas. More Ajugas. They're awesome plants. So, why not fill in some spots, right?
I've already posted about a pair of Burgundy Glow Ajugas (one IB2Dws and other by Screened porch) and eight Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' - five in the Driveway Island bed and three on the south border of the front porch bed.
I bought another six-pack of Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' and while I'm pretty sure I planted all six, I can only (now) count five.
Here are a few photos showing those five. First, three in the front IB2DWs section - filling in the space by the 2-year-old GreenVelvet boxwoods. Then, two more in back - fronting the new Baby Blue Spruce tree by the Linden espalier.
I'm posting this in November 2023, but I did this dividing and transplanting in mid-October 2023.
My 2023 Fall Planting List - so far - includes a number of new and divided plants.
Now up to 63 new plants. And 10 new via division. 73 total for 2023 #FallPlanting. 30 of them are groundcover plants. Eight sedums.
- Five divided Everillo Sedges - Carex Everillo - from one sedge with Center rot in the backyard.
- A Sempervivum ‘Hopewell’ - a succulent-looking Chicks and Hens planted down by the sidewalk - IB2DWs.
- Two Sedum spurium 'Voodoo' - IB2DWs - to attempt to outcompete the Creeping Jenny.
- Split three Elijah Blue Fescue clumps into six - IB2DWs along the driveway.
- A single Burgundy Glow Ajuga along the driveway IB2DWs. Lots of groundcover IB2DWs, this Fall.
- Eight Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' planted - five in the island bed. Three along south front porch bed border.
- A Cardoon - IB2DWs - that I'm not sure is going to make it. I'm going to mulch it in VERY heavily this Winter.
- Two Silver Mound Artemisias planted IB2DWs - close to the current planted bed.
- A dwarf, fern-like shrub: Matcha Ball Ash Leaf Spirea planted in the front porch bed.
- Three Pentsemon 'Midnight Masquerade' dark foliage perennials planted in the new/extended IB2DWs bed.
- Two Stachys monieri 'Hummelo' plants, in the front yard by the Sweetspire.
- Three Greenlee Moor Grasses - Sesleria Greenlee Hybrid in front of the Sweetspire shrubs in front.
- A dwarf conifer: Baby Blue Spruce - planted IB2DWs extended down by the sidewalk.
- Two John Creech Sedums - planted by the Little Henry Sweetspires. Hoping to cover and outcompete the weeds that creep up in this border.
- Three Ruby Muhlygrasses - Planted at the end of the boardwalk in back.
- A #1 Bird's Nest Spruce planted IB2DWs by the Nepeta Cat's Pajamas, near the driveway.
- A ball-and-burlap Weeping Norway Spruce in the middle of the established IB2DWs bed.
- A second Norway Weeping Spruce Tree - IB2DWs in the new 'Conifer Garden'.
- A narrow, upright conifer tree - Montrose Charm White Spruce in the 'Conifer Garden' IB2DWs.
- The 2nd Baby Blue Spruce tree planted IB2DWs in the new 'Conifer Garden' closer to the Bald Cypress.
- A 3rd Baby Blue Spruce tree planted in back by the Lindens - viewable from the Kitchen.
- I'm calling it a tree (not a shrub) - a Royal Purple Smoke Tree planted IB2Dws.
- A true dwarf - Golden Mop False Cypress - planted IB2DWs in the Conifer Garden.
- One of Two Blue Star Junipers - Planted in back stoop north bed with Spring Grove Ginkgo.
- The second Blue Star Juniper that is planted by the Disneyland Roses on the south side.
- The second (new) Bird's Nest Spruce planted in the new Conifer Garden IB2DWs.
- Three small Green Velvet Boxwoods planted in between the espalier'd Dogwoods along the garage.
- Three small Japanese 'Soft Touch' Holly shrubs planted back by the Weeping Nootka Cypress bed.
- Three new (five total) Allium Serendipity via Division - planted IB2DWs and in the new Conifer Garden
- Two new All Gold Hakonechloa Japanese Forest Grasses via division from IB2DWs to back border.
- A 2nd Burgundy Glow Ajuga - planted by the screened porch door - via a Fairy Garden.
- Three Variegated Sedums. One in Front Porch Bed, two down by sidewalk IB2DWs.
- Five new Autumn Ferns by 2nd Oak Tree as Hosta replacements.
- Two new plain Hostas via division and transplanting closer to the fence and back of property.
- Five more Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip' - IB2DWs and in back by the new Baby Blue Spruce.